What I've heard on this matter is that the M$ contract states only that builders
can no longer sell "empty" chassis.  There must be AN OS with the computer.

This was to counter the practice of quantity purchasers buying blank boxes,
(and by M$'s concern) loading a single copy of some M$ OS on dozens of
boxes with only one license.  But, they would be hauled into court by every
company and State in the US if they went so far as to say it HAD to be an M$ OS.
So they left it as *an* OS knowing full well that theirs would be the most
likely candidate, and thus another sale made.

Not wanting to loose thousands upon thousands from customers not wanting
to spend the extra for the installed OS, BUT, also not wanting to breech or
lose the contract with M$, for these special customers they would build an
empty chassis to the customers' specs, then, just before sealing up the box,
they toss in a floppy containing a copy of "free DOS".  Thus, they have
met the contract stipulation of "providing *an* OS, but not having to charge
the client for the product, or installation.

I haven't confirmed this for myself.  But he who told me has a strong purchasing
arrangement with Dell, so, could be.  :-)

ht

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ END ORIGINAL MESSAGE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}