On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Larry Lade wrote:

> >One concern I do have with a Linux-based email system is the relative
> >inability to do scanning for virii, trojan horses, etc... on the server.

Well, the server itself is going to be 100% immune to virus attacks about
about 99.5% immune to trojan horses (assuming a basic level of competency
of the administrator).  The built-in security on Linux will do a better
job than any McAfee scanner at protecting the server itself.

If you are looking at scanning for viruses coming in email attachments,
you'll need a Linux based version of a virus scanner.  As far as I know,
the Linux based version of McAfee scans mostly for DOS/Windows viruses.
Procmail has the ability to execute arbitrary commands on all incoming
messages, so you will need a utility to un-MIME any attachments and test
them for viruses.  You want mmencode to unscramble the messages.  Procmail
can then be configured to throw away mail based on the result code of the
virus scanner, which would probably have to be wrapped in some shell
swaddling if it returns text messages instead of actual result codes.  It
could even replace the "attachment" with a text insert which says "the
attachment to this message was determined to contain a virus" or some
such.  In any case, it seems mostly like just a matter of doing it.  Would
be cool if there were an RPM for all this.

Such a delivery system will be as slow as the seven year itch.  Probably
still a fair sight faster than Exchange Server, however. :)