Thanks for the quick response.  We had taken a look at
the relationship between major and minor but dismissed
that method based on the following.

In SAR we were able to identify five devices.
>From SAR...
dev8-0
dev8-1
dev8-2
dev8-3
dev8-4

In IOSTAT five devices are identified, sda, sdb, sdc,
sdd and sde.
>From IOSTAT...
sda
sda1
sda2
sda3
sda4
sda5
sda6
sda7
sda8
sdb
sdb1
sdc
sdd
sde

Results from ls -l, looking at major and minor
sda...8,0
sdb...8,16
sdc...8,32
sdd...8,48
sde...8,64

We might infer that dev8-0 is the same as sda,
however, once we extend that method out to sdb, sdc,
and so on, the major and minor numbers cease to
provide a relationship.

I was hoping to find a file someplace that provided
the relationship.

Thanks again for the ideas,
...Robert