Thanks for the response.  I'm still a little lost.
You're right on the relationship between major/minor
and device names such as sda, sda1, sdb, etc.

The system that we've been working on is connected to
an EMC SAN.  It uses Redhat AS 2.1 (2.4 kernel).

The problem that I'm trying to solve is where SAR -d
lists only the following device names...
dev8-0
dev8-1
dev8-2
dev8-3
dev8-4

It is these odd device names presented by SAR that
have been the challenge.  It appears that SAR
maintains the major number but the minor is actually a
distinct number (what the MAN means by 'distinct' is
rather subjective).

So I see SAR reporting that I have four physical
devices.  But when I look at IOSTAT -X   I get the
following devices...
sda
sda1
sda2
sda3
sda5
sda6
sda7
sda8
sdb
sdb1
sdb2
sdc
sdc1
sdd
sdd1
sde
sde1

When I run IOSTAT    I get the following...
dev8-0
dev8-1
dev8-2
dev8-3
dev8-4

My guess is that one of the following conditions is
true (I'm not sure which one)...

Solution 1...
The major/minor numbers are correct but SAR has a bug
in it which prevents it from displaying more than four
devices (partitions).  If this is true then I can map
the devices out as follows...
dev8-0  is the same as /dev/sda
dev8-1  is the same as /dev/sda1
dev8-2  is the same as /dev/sda2
dev8-3  is the same as /dev/sda3
dev8-4  is the same as /dev/sda4

Solution 2...
The major numbers are correct ( these are SCSI
devices) but the "minor" number refers to the physical
disk number.  If this is true then the following might
be true.  I say 'might' because I don't know how to
prove this.
dev8-0  is the same as /dev/sda
dev8-1  is the same as /dev/sdb
dev8-2  is the same as /dev/sdc