On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 at 5:42am (-0800), Prashant Desai wrote:

> Hi all
>

>     i have sucessfully configured a central log server
> on RH linux 7.2, to log for around 20-25 hosts running
> solaris & linux.
>
>    but the problem is all the logs are coming in to
> the same file related to that perticular kinda logs
> like maillog  , messages etc.
>
>   is it possible to keep logs on logserver in
> different directory on the log server based on the log
> clients ????????
>
>  kindly point to some links on configuring this kinda
> of configuration.........

I don't think what you want is possible with the normal syslogd that comes
with redhat.  You might want to investigate using syslog-ng... it has
significantly better filtering abilities.  I've found it to be very good for
a central log server.

http://www.balabit.hu/en/downloads/syslog-ng/

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/syslog-ng-1.5.21-2.i386.html

I /beleive/ the default config that comes with rpm'ified version is
funtionally equivilent to the redhat's default syslogd config which should
give you a good start on adapting it to your needs.

M.

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 5, 100 Wickham St.           Network Operations - Systems Engineer