Peter Kiem wrote:

One thing I did want to know before starting, if you are using the
standard Red Hat syslog like you are, and send the logs to a central log
server, do the logs ONLY appear on the central log server or are they
stored locally on each server and a COPY of them is sent to the central
log server?

That depends on how you have syslog configured. For example, on my servers I do something like this:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local7.notice @logsrv

(where @logsrv is the central logging server)

This allows me to still store everything on one machine, but also individually on each machine. This way, should the logging server go down, I won't lose anything.

--
M | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . 303.442.6410 x130