Peter Kiem said:
> Hi Nate,

hello!

> Actually I meant whatever he was using to parse the logs could filter the
> logs on the server name "column" in the system log.
> I can see where splitting them would be very useful though.

syslog-ng automatically splits them according to hostname as far as I
know. I go further and filter according to service/type e.g. mail.log
vpn.log database.log su.log pop3.log imap4.log switch.log printer.log

> I guess only the logserver is what you need to look at anyway and it saves
> space on the remote servers.

yeah, and when you got a buncha servers it really cuts down on work
to be able to view logs from 20 systems at once. esp with logcheck.

> What if the logserver is down?  Do the logs get kept until the logserver
> is available again or are they lost completely?

with the normal syslog I think logs are lost completely. but if you
use syslog-ng on the client as well as the server I think you can
specify multiple destinations(haven't tried this myself). my syslog
server doesn't go down often. I only started using syslog-ng on
a couple client machines recently.

> I am thinking mostly of systems in my DMZ to a logserver inside my private
> lan space to keep them more secure.
> Hadn't thought of the other machines in the big bad Internet that I look
> after as well.  Hmmmmm....

I meant "DMZ" as well. before I would setup a dedicated syslog server
for outside the firewall since my attempts to forward 514/UDP to the
syslog server seemed to be unsuccessful, perhaps because the machine
doing the forwarding(linux box) was listening on UDP/514(for some reason
syslogd listens on UDP/514 when logging to a remote system even without
using the -r option). Not certain though.

for internet machines you could use stunnel or ssh to tunnel the logs
back through the firewall from a remote site, if your paranoid(like me),
or just do plain TCP..

my home network is only about 9 systems so I'm limited in resources
(mostly limited by the lack of additional power, wish I had a dedicated
20amp circut in my apt!!

I also configured bind to log everything to syslog as well so it get's
archived and checked. I have logrotate set to keep 6 months of logs.
sofar, 230MB of compressed logs since I deployed my home syslog
server in september '02 ..wow, its been nearly 6 months already..

nate