Dante Bell said:
> Hi, I'm running RH 8.0 on an intel PC and want to use a serial port
> connection to a Sun Ultra 60 in order to configure/boot the sun for file
> server/web server in my home office.  It's been about 10 years since  I've
> done this and don't remember how, except that I used tip to connect  over
> the seriel port ttys0 to the sun box.  I don't see tip on the RH  box.
> What should I use?  Also, an even dumber question ... do I need a
> cross-over serial cable to make this setup work?

you need a null modem cable if thats what you mean. The easiest way,
is to install minicom, configure it to 9600/8/N/1, disable all the
modem specific stuff(init strings and such), and connect to the sun on
serial port A. If the system does not respond, a fast way to get it
to respond is to reboot it if you can. You should see the openboot
stuff come up. Careful which port you plug into, several times I've
mistakenly plugged into the parallel port on ultra 10s thinkin it
was the serial port(they use the same damn connector!), and sat in
frustration for 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell is
wrong :)

nate