On 25 Feb 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 23:18, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > In order to use the *-MD5 AUTH types, you must use saslpasswd to store
> > the users' plain text password in /etc/sasldb.
>
> Thank you. But how is this a good thing? Even /etc/shadow is encrypted,
> for God's sake...

It's a principle of the encryption/hash algorythms used.  You either have
to store the encrypted password and send the plain text version (as with
/etc/shadow) or store the plain text password and send a hashed version
(as with APOP, CRAM-MD5, CRAM-SHA1, DIGEST-MD5, etc).  You can't store an
encrypted version and also send an encrypted version over the wire,
because there's no way to compare the two.

We just had a very long discussion about this on the Courier-MTA list,
around the end of which someone mentioned SRP as a technology without that
limitation. When I get an internet connection at home again (I'm moving),
I'll be looking into that more.  I wonder why it's not more widely used?