On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:55:20PM -0500, Christian Campbell wrote:
> I have intermediate experience with Linux.  Even less with mail servers.
> I'm running a RedHat 8 server that needs to accept mail from the world as
> our primary mailserver.  I'm debating as to whether I should use postfix or
> sendmail (or something else).  Anyone have any pros/cons to either of these?
> I'd like something simple, secure and have the option of doing some type of
> spam catching with some type of package (open source, free / cheep) that
> integrates easily.  Any and all help appreciated!

We run sendmail at work with dozens of domains and tens of thousands of
messages per day spread over 2 Linux systems.  Those servers then fire
the external mail into 2 internal Linux servers, also running sendmail,
which in turn feed out to the rest of the internal systems.  The stuff
just works.

At home I run sendmail supporting 3 very small domains and mostly
mailing list and personal mail.  It works just fine.

sendmail is not hard to configure, and in its current form is fairly
secure.

There are multiple anti-spam options in both postfix and sendmail and I
don't believe that either is better in this regard.  Blackhole sites are
your first level of defense, followed by things like spamassassin
(may be acceptable for home use but not for an enterprise) and
anti-virus tools.  Postfix rules finish off the filtering.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]