I noticed a problem like this.
when opening a man page inside emacs i get lots of
\323\323\345\xxx.  and so on, where there should be - and --
they seem to be octal characters.
i changed the LANG variable from "en_AU.UTF-8" to with
export LANG="en_AU"
  or even
export LANG="en"
and this solved the problem in emacs.

I think that running man in a bash shell outside of emacs did not have this issue.
Does anyone know why this was a problem in emacs.
is it because emacs does not support utf8?  or is it because emacs does, but can't
handle things if utf8 is already dealt with prior to running in emacs...  so removing
the utf8 part of the lang variable allows emacs to fully render the characters in its
own way.

in any case, regardless of where i run man pages, i do not get the bold highlighting
(bright white) at all like i used to with red hat 7.2.  in the shell i used to get
highlighting, while in emacs there was no such highlighting.  now i get none at all...
does anyone know how to fix this?

could this possibley be related to my earlier problem regarding textual interfaces....?

I too wonder why rh8 had this misconfiguration.
it seems that rh is getting towards caring more about X environments than text console
environments.  cf. my recent messages on text user interface applications like cdp and
problems with lining up characters.