Title: QuestionMark tacked to filename

I have an unusual (and not consistently repeatable) file creation problem.

My user kicks off a shell script that makes several calls to an executable.  The executable takes several parameters, one of them being an output filename (thus it is repeated in the script to break up the output files into something manageable).

Occasionally the output file is created with "?" tacked to the end of the filename.  He has not  been able to make this happen if he just types the executable and parameters at the prompt.  But when he uses a script, it happens sporadically.  The script doesn't have any #!/bin/sh  at the top - he simply entered all the command lines into a file.

It may be related to the executable, but since I don't have the source for the binary, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has seen this behavior on their Linux box before I talked to the vendor of this binary code.

Thanks in advance,
Julie Myhre

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.