Probably because RH-7.1 used sendmail-8.11.x which did not implement smmsp
(sendmail message submission program). i.e. /etc/mail/submit.{cf|mc}

If your interested in understanding the differences between sendmail
versions 8.11.x and 8.12.x, start by downloading the sendmail source tarball
and reading the file...

/PATH_TO_SOURCE/sendmail-8.12.8/sendmail/SECURITY

Further reading should include...

/PATH_TO_SOURCE/sendmail-8.12.8/cf/README

In particular, the section labled MESSAGE SUBMISSION PROGRAM.

> > /etc/aliases also has a minor change for those who use mailman.
>
> I didn't even get a new /etc/aliases file on my system, and I do run
> mailman.  What's the change?

Reading the above files will probably answer this question, but the only
difference I see is the user "smmsp" is aliased to "root". Also,
/etc/mail/trusted-users should contain an entry for "mailman" to suppress
the "X-Authentication" type warnings.

Steve Cowles