Hmmmm Somebody told me that all the packages besides the kernel are
compiled for the 386, not the 686, and this might have a significant
impact. However, when I ran with Slackware, I think all their binary
packages are compiled for the 386 as well, and I didn't notice the
slowness.

I've gone into my BIOS and knocked down the memory for the AGP aperture
from 128MG to 64MB. (I don't even know what an AGP is. Could somebody
please enlighten me?).

I also found out that I only have 256MB of RAM, not 512M, like I had
originally thought. However, this seem to make a difference with my
previous system.

Is there some setting somewhere for bus bandwith or something? I noticed
this IDE is running with a "default" of 16. Should it be 32? I gather
there is no way to tuning the SCSI? What about processor speed? As far as
the BIOS is concerned, I'm running "Normal" not "Compatible".

It could just be that RH 8.0 and all the new stuff is just a slower dog on
the same machines, err like Windoze is.

Thanks,
-Polar