Polar Humenn wrote:

I updated from Slackware, because updating it was a pain. But now that I
have this RedHat 8.0 thing installed, my system is slower than a
two-legged tortoise. I've got a dual-pentium 800Mz with 512MB RAM. The KDE
used to fly under Slack. Now, what's happened?

Which apps are slow? One of the biggest performance regressions with Red Hat's latest offerings is text rendering. The fontconfig/Xft2 display code is *way* slower than the old X core font technologies: it's entirely unaccelerated. For users who are into heavy console use, this regression is very noticable. It will get better at some point, but I don't know when. You can always install a terminal that doesn't use Xft2. "aterm" is pretty nice.