Are you trying to login to it at boot time, as a Primary Domain Controller,
or just trying to open a network share, like in network neighborhood, when
you get the bad password message?

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 09:33, Muhd Ramley wrote:
I'm trying to login from Windows 98. smb.conf attached.

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 21:38, Muhd Ramley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a Linux newbie, running a RH8 box. Trying to configure samba. I can
> see the shares from the windows machine connecting to samba. But when I
> click on the shares I keep getting "incorrect password. Try again". I
> followed every help docs that i could get my hands on, but still same
> message. Please help
>
> Rds...Ramley
>

> --

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
guest account = pcguest
load printers = yes
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
obey pam restrictions = no
null passwords = yes
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
encrypt passwords = yes
wins support = true
dns proxy = no
server string = Samba Server
printing = cups
default = smbwebmin
unix password sync = yes
workgroup = workgroup
os level = 20
auto services = global
printcap name = /etc/printcap
security = share
max log size = 512
domain logons = yes
pam password change = no

[homes]
map to guest = bad user
browseable = yes
comment = Home Directories
writeable = yes
valid users = %S
create mode = 0664
directory mode = 0775

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
guest ok = yes
writable = no
share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
; path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
; browseable = no
; guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
guest ok = no
browseable = no
comment = All Printers
printable = yes
writable = no
path = /var/spool/samba

[tmp]
comment = Temporary file space
writeable = yes
public = yes
path = /tmp

[public]
comment = Public Stuff
path = /home/smbshare
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = yes
write list = @staff

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
; comment = Fred's Printer
; valid users = fred
; path = /home/fred
; printer = freds_printer
; public = no
; writable = no
; printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
; comment = Fred's Service
; path = /usr/somewhere/private
; valid users = fred
; public = no
; writable = yes
; printable = no

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
# also use the %U option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
; comment = PC Directories
; path = /usr/local/pc/%m
; public = no
; writable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead