Tim Willis wrote:

right click on desktop -> select 'New Launcher' -> Create Launcher box comes up -> enter LinNeighborhood in Command box -> leave Type as Application -> select Run in Terminal -> give it a name and an icon, etc..etc.. -> click OK, and the icon appears.

However, when I click on the icon, a terminal comes up, then disappears.

You may have found a bug in LinNeighborhood. Apparently, it tries to open /dev/tty (I'd guess to communicate with the smb* programs). When you start the program in a terminal emulator, it isn't allocated a tty, so the program exits. It works for me if I don't tell it to run in a terminal.

The author of LinNeighborhood should probably be allocating his own pty using openpty().