>    >> Is there a program that I can use to quickly view the content
>    >> of a jpg or gif picture, from the command line, (without
>    >> x-windows)?
>
>    Vidiot> No.  Think about it.  A picture requires 8-bit color depth
>    Vidiot> (as a minumim).  How do you expect to display a colora
>    Vidiot> image on a TEXT screen?  You wanna see images, you start
>    Vidiot> X.
>
>Wrong.  Search for seejpeg.  Works great on my old slackware laptop
>that doesn't have X.  Or see zgv, I think it has a RedHat RPM.

Unless I've misunderstood graphic card modes, when placed in the simple
text mode, that the console use, high res graphics is NOT available.  It would
mean switching the graphic card mode beofre showing images.

MB
--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                /~\ The ASCII
[I'm just the one who beat him off...  Repelled him]     \ / Ribbon Campaign