On 10-Mar-2003/16:54 -0700, "Ashley M. Kirchner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    This may not be specific to Red Hat only, but I figured I'd post
>here before I dive into sendmail's news group.  Normally, we don't have
>any problems at all with our mail, however today we were faced with an
>unpredictable scenario which caught my attention immediately.  Our
>internal (private) network relays outgoing mail through one of our
>servers that is connected directly to our T1 line (with a public IP).
> That mail server does not run any DNS, it relies on servers next to it
>which are in the same subnet.
>
>    Today one of the city's main fiber backbones was cut for about 3
>hours time and I was faced with problems I couldn't solve: internal
>computers trying to send mail could no longer do so.  The mail client
>just sat there trying to send the message and in some cases would
>eventually time out (mail not send), and in others it would just sit
>there forever (Netscape 7.02 being one of those).
>
>    So I wonder if there isn't a way where mail would just spool up on
>the outgoing server, so that these internal clients would still be able
>to (seemingly) send mail.  And when the T1 link comes back up, sendmail
>would just spool everything out.  What specifically do I need to check
>and/or enable in my sendmail cf to allow this behavior?  Mail relays
>fine otherwise.

Seems to me that if your DNS servers had a significant cache, sendmail
should be able to resolve the destination domains and accept the mail.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is to setup an SMTP relay
host for internal users that accepts mail for unresolved domains and
relays it to your main SMTP relays.

That way, users will see their mail "go out" and it will sit on the
internal relay host until the destination domain can be resolved.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D