On Thursday 13 March 2003 13:41, Richard Sumilang wrote:
> All Gurus,
>
> I'm new to actually developing on Linux operating systems, moving from
> Winblows to Red Hat. I have KDE and GNOME installed, I simply just use
> MySQL, PHP, Apache, Zend Studio, and Mozilla. What GUI what you
> recommend for me to use and why? KDE or GNOME?
>
> Thanks
> - Richard

I use GNOME. When I first seriously tried to use GNU/Linux, it was with RedHat
7.0 and KDE 1.x.  KDE 1.x just stunk for me as I was still a Windows user who
hated the idea of having to have a seperate panel for the taskbar, so GNOME
has been my choice ever since. KDE's got a *lot* of niceties these days, so
I'm not going to reccommend against it, either.

The GNOME programs seem to run much faster and be more useful than equivalent
KDE apps.  In KDE's defense, however, I am using KMail right now because ever
since I upgraded Evolution through Red Carpet, it hasn't been working
properly, and the Qt toolkit has nicer results.

If you *really* want to think differently, however, you might want to try
WindowMaker, which is based on the OpenStep specs (first used in Steve Jobs'
NeXTStep computers). But WindowMaker isn't as useful as GNOME/KDE, so
consider that, too.

Hope this helps.

-J. Jensen