I setup the redhat 8 on the first extended partition at first.
After using the disk druid to create the filesystem, my hard disk
map like this:
hdb0--------fat32
hdb7--------ext3 /
hdb8---------swap
hdb9---------ext3 /home
freespace
hdb5----------fat32
hdb6----------fat32
   A few days later, I  format the freespace as fat32 in winxp.
Then, I restart my pc, and the grub fail to display the menu.
I had to boot up manually using root(hdx,x) command!

It is fine to boot both winxp and redhat 8---redhat 8 can't find
the swap partition at the first time, but I fixed it by editing
the fstab file!
   The problem seems come from the partition list, when I try to
use the redhat cd to fix this problem, it show me the partition
list like this:
hdb0--------fat32
hdb5--------ext3 /
hdb6---------swap
hdb7---------ext3 /home
hdb8,hdb9,hd10----fat32

Then I boot into redhat and try to reinstall grub in the MRB!
 I edit the grub.conf and change this two line
  root=(hd0,4)
  kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 root=/dev/hdb5
then start the grub:
root(hd0,5)
setup(hd0)
 It return the error message :
 Runing "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+22 p (hd0,5)/boot/stage2
/boot/grub/grub.conf"...failed
Error 12:Invalide device request

I had try different set of grub.conf like
  root=(hd0,5)
  kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 root=/dev/hdb6
It didn't work!

So ,What's the problem, how can i fix it?

        winglion
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
          2003-03-16