Dan Donathan said:
> Has anyone ever asked RH about it? Like I said, it seems odd that such a
> popular card would have a problem.

one thought this thread reminded me of..last year I had a system
with 2 x 3COM 3C905B cards in it .. Typically 3COM 3C905B is among
my favorite card, I have several systems that have NEVER had a problem
(btw I only have 1 redhat box, everything else is debian, with home
brew kernels). But this one system started acting up once I maxxed
out the ram(1.5GB, board supported 1.5GB max). Every once in a while
the system would drop off the network totally. There was a buncha
errors in the kernel log, and resetting the network interface
(/etc/init.d/network restart in debian) always fixed it. Ended up
having to put a serial console on the thing so I could reset it
from remote. Ended up replacing the cards with intel cards after
a few months, and the problem stopped, though the system was only
up for perhaps a month with the intel cards before I had to take
it down(for other reasons).

I don't have copies of the kernel messages anymore the system
is long since ripped apart and allocated to other systems.

check the kernel log again next time it happens. I know you
said you didn't see anything in the log :) but still, run
dmesg >/root/kernel.log and post it on a website or ftp so
people can check JUST incase!

But my other systems with 3COM cards work flawlessly, Probably
2 dozen of em. Infact I've had more problems on the eepro side
then on the 3com side which is why I favor the 3com, specifically
3C905B/3C905C (*NOT* the 3C905C-TXNM or whatever it is, the half
height card).

just another data point.

nate