Edward Dekkers wrote:

Well I can't do that now because it seems to have left my machine in a state where it has *two* glibc's and everything is now failing, can't even boot!

Dave.

Bugger - I was going to tell you after your original post not to mess with
this. Glibc is so vital to system operations, I only EVER get the RedHat
RPMs for the RedHat operating system. Then I read this post and saw it was
too late.

Shame I got onto this only this morning our time.
Hard to remove your changes now that you can't boot. Anyone have any
suggestions for this guy?

Probably boot the system using Red Hat's "rescue" mode on the CD media, and "rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -e glibc-<version>". The rescue mode includes a copy of rpm, right? I don't recall :(