Douglas Alan wrote:
I haven't used kickstart myself but I would expect it to remove all
partitions on all disks if you told it to remove all existing
partitions ..

That's a mighty literal interpretation of "all" when it comes to valuable data. I can't imagine any circumstance when I would want all partitions on all disk drives to be removed during an OS install,
[snip]

1. You get a Windows computer from someone, but you only use Linux.

2. You have a standard config of partitions, OS, & apps that is different from what's on the box (this is the most common use of kickstart).

UNIX-like systems do not make such a big deal out of using different drives. They're just mount points, all located somewhere under the '/' directory. Even nework shares are treated like this. There is nothing like the drive letters used in DOS/Win because drives are not such a big deal. On a single machine "all partitions" is interpreted in the context of the machine.

> and
there is no option to Kickstart telling it to remove partitions only on
the boot disk drive.  One typically assumes that an OS installer behaves
somewhat reasonably.  Apparently, that is asking too much in this case.

It is behaving reasonably. It's just using a different set of assumptions than you are.

[snip]
Unfortuntely, the data is not mine, but rather the head of the
department's.

So, you did an OS install on a department head's computer using an unfamiliar procedure without backing up the data to a safe place first. Sometimes experience really is the best teacher. I hope this lesson doesn't turn out to be too expensive.

Tony -- Anthony E. Greene <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D AOL/Yahoo Chat: TonyG05 HomePage: <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/> Linux. The choice of a GNU generation. <http://www.linux.org/>