Douglas Alan wrote:
Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's a mighty literal interpretation of "all" when it comes to
valuable data.  I can't imagine any circumstance when I would want all
partitions on all disk drives to be removed during an OS install,

1. You get a Windows computer from someone, but you only use Linux.

In that case, you can explicitly delete these partitions or configure the install program to delete these partitions for you, rather than have the install program *automatically* delete them for you.

2. You have a standard config of partitions, OS, & apps that is
different from what's on the box (this is the most common use of
kickstart).

Exactly. But my standard config is limited to the boot disk drive. In fact, I explicitly told Kickstart to *only* make partitions on the boot disk drive. It has no good reason to mess with the partition tables of disk drives that it is not putting partitions onto.

You're evadng the point. You could not imagine a case where it would make sense for kickstart to do what it did. I pointed out two cases. Are there alternate ways to handle those two cases? Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that in those cases, kickstart's behavior would be entirely reasonable.

I agree that the interface could be improved, and I understand your point of view on this, but I don't share it. I have never done this kind of automated installation *precisely* because I did not want the installation routine to make decisions for me.

It seems we look at this from different perspectives.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D