Cameron Simpson wrote:

On 05:29 23 Mar 2003, Michael Mansour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| The cd drive is empty actually... I thought it had
| something to do with the KDE automounter always
| checking the cd drive to see if something is in it?

Hmm, yes. Sounds likely to me, though you'd expect a better message;
CD drives happily return a sane "no medium" error. Sounds like magicdev
is being unhelpful in its messages. If it's magicdev, which I think it is.

I always disable magicdev and just use an entry in my automounter for
the CD, so when you know there's a data disc in it you can just "cd
/mnt/cdrom" and it gets mounted then. Not probing in the background.

First thing I always do when building a Red Hat system... rpm -e magicdev

that and linuxconf have given me nothing but grief... and for what its worth, when I worked at Red Hat, the first thing we would say to a customer who was having CDROM issues was rpm -e magicdev and try again... heh....

Cheers
Jeff