On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 12:47, Rick Johnson wrote:
> Red Hat wrote:
> > Dear Colleague:
> >
> > You may know that Red Hat Network is the best way to keep your
> > systems running the latest errata and always up to date. What you
> > might not know is that Red Hat Network passed the one million users
> > mark earlier this year. We've listened to valuable feedback and have
> > added two items of interest to keep those users happy - early release
> > of Red Hat Linux 9 ISOs and improved technical support.
>
> What happened to 8.1? I feel that if Red Hat is going to increment in
> Full x.0 release numbers, they're going to obsolete alot of their RHCE's
> much quicker than if they had made this a x.1. IMHO, there isn't enough
> of a difference between 8.0 and this release to justify a 9.0 version
> number, but that Red Hat is simply trying to catch up with other Distros
> such as Mandrake and Suse in order to offer a "comprable" product.
>
> I RHCE'd on 7.3, which would be considered "not current" after a 9.3
> release. However if they've switched to full x.0 releases from here on
> out, I'll be non-current by November 1st, 16 months after receiving the
> cert (going by older release models, it would have been good for 24-36
> months - which one might expect for $795). Even MCSE's typically last
> longer than 16 months...
>
> I'm sure it's purely a marketing decision... but not one I'm happy with
> unless they change their RHCE policy to match.

I'm with Rick on this one. If this was for 8.1, I'd consider (strongly)
purchasing the service. But if it really is for 9, thus leading to an
early obsolescence of my 7.3 cert, I'll not be sending money their way.
IMO, moving directly to 9 would be a mistake of epic proportions in the
marketing field. Not only does it violate the X.{1,2,3}. series model,
it also puts the AS based on the 7.x series far behind in terms of
marketing "Look, their "Advanced" stuff is on something TWO whole
versions old!".

If they do not alter their RHCE program to match the changed release
cycle, this is one RHCE that will not be recertifying when done (at this
rate, this very year!). Nor will I be able to honestly recommend to my
students the RHCE/RHCT programs anymore.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773