The biggest problem you might run into is some config files in your home
directory that have changed spec, but that has only happened to me once
- I think when going from a pre 1 version of gnome to a much newer one.

If that happens - just delete the config file.

What you want to do - copy these files to a floppy:
/etc/shadow
/etc/group
/etc/passwd

Any data not in your home directory that you want to save, back them up
too. Such as /etc/httpd/httpd.conf if you use Apache and have customized
it. You might want to save your ssl key too, but I never bother to on a
home machine.

When you install the new distro, choose your current /home partition
with a mount point of /home but DO NOT choose to format it.

Let the install go, don't create a new user - just the root user is
enough.

Boot into single the root account, mount the floppy, and run:

cat /mnt/floppy/shadow > /etc/shadow
cat /mnt/floppy/group > /etc/group
cat /mnt/floppy/passwd > /etc/passwd

reboot - and you should be able to log into any of your user accounts
just fine.

If you don't have a burner - I *really* recommend you have a friend burn
the iso's. Really.

I don't know where you live, but in California (most of the US I
suspect) you can get an IDE cdrw drive for about $50.00 now new. They
really have dropped in price. But if you can't afford it, really - get a
friend to burn it. You probably want to burn backups of your home
directory anyway just in case something goes wrong.

If I were you, though - I'd wait to install RH9 until about a month
after it has been released. That way you can see pitfalls to avoid - and
show stopper bugs have a better chance of having patches easily
available.

--
Michael A. Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>