I don't have an .xsession-errors file but I do have .gconf, .gnome etc.  I installed
GNOME as my default Windows manager and it is what is indicated in the
/etc/sysconfig/desktop file.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/25/03 09:07AM >>>
* Jon Morgan
> XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.0-72) / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)

I'm no expert, but it looks ok.  And I now realized that your X system
does not hang in any way, it may be up and running healthy.  What you
might miss is a window manager.

Did you install Gnome, KDE or fvwm2?  Do you have a file called
~/.xsession-errors?

--
 Jon Haugsand, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.norges-bank.no