Tim Willis wrote:

I've been trying to mount a filesystem on an XP machine and I get the
following error:

"smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500)
smbmnt failed:1"

Now, this has worked in the past.

That seems unlikely. Unix systems don't let normal users go about mounting and unmounting filesystems.

I'm not sure if I changed anything,
however there has been one kernal upgrade since I last used
LinNeighborhood.

There's also been samba errata. You probably applied it. Doing so would have "fixed" the permissions on the samba client programs.

You need to have "smbmnt" suid root to mount shares, and "smbumount" needs to be suid to unmount shares.

chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmnt
chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbumount