On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:52:39PM -0600, Rigler, Steve wrote:

> MS's version numbering system is so screwed it doesn't even deserve
> mention (am I a version number, a year or a 2 letter buzz-phrase?).

To their credit, I think Microsoft had a good idea when they started
using the year instead of a version number. Let's face it, at this
point, they had completly screwed up the version numbers of their
applications ("Hey, let's give all the Office apps the same version
number, regardless of the technical merits of doing so") so the new
scheme made sense.

Of course, they then started screwing up the year numbers by issueing
second editions, service packs, hotfixes and what have you.

Emmanuel