On 28 Mar 2003, Michael Wardle wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 03:29, Ubaidul Khan wrote:
> > Does anyone know if Redhat 9.0 will provide support of XFS (sgi's high
> > performance file system)? I heard some talk of the new kernel (2.4.21)
> > supporting XFS.
>
> I don't see any mention of XFS in the ChangeLog for Linux 2.4.21.
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/patch-2.4.21.log
>
> When last I read about this issue, it seemed that XFS support would only
> be merged in to the official kernel for Linux 2.6 and later, and Red Hat
> didn't want to apply the patches to Linux 2.4.  I would conclude that
> we'll see XFS in the first Red Hat release to use Linux 2.6 by default,
> perhaps Red Hat 9.1 or 10, depending on what the next release is called.
>
> You can get a CD image of an SGI-customized version of Red Hat 8 that
> includes XFS support from here:
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.2/installer/

Depends on how you define as "see" in terms of how you expect the
availablity to be provided.  Red Hat seems to be very conservative when it
comes to file system support.  Also, the fact that ext3 seems to be their
own in-house salid dressing seems to make the bias in continuing to
promote it.

Based on what I have seen in the beta releases, Anaconda still does not
list reiserfs as an option during installation.  The fact that the support
is included in the kernel and the user-space utilities are provided seem
to be an after-thought.  Like other secondary offerings in the standard OS
(CUPS, postfix, etc), it may be weeks after a know bug exists before they
get around to releasing a kernel update or updated reiserfs util package.
It is clear they don't want to provide support to alternatives when you
compare this with the fact that new kernels or other packages (bugs with
ext3, lpd, sendmail, etc) will come out days after a know bug.  Even if
SGI XFS or IBM JFS is provided in RH 9.1 or RH X kernel (along with
supporting user-space utils), it is unlikely that RH trend will change and
they will continue blowing off supporting the users of these alternatives.
Unless your interested in tracking bugzilla and RawHide, I would avoid
alternatives when expecting support from RH.  What gets provided when you
run "up2date" against RH's own RHN servers seems to be controlled by
politics rather than technical.

What I find the most disappointing is how much Red Hat has gone out of
their way to avoid devfs.  While it is debatable if this 2.4 kernel
feature is worth while in a hard drive installed OS, it has become clear
that it has it's advantages for rescue diskettes.  Yet, work-arounds for
detection and creation of devices still exist as part of Anaconda when
booting in either install or rescue mode.  There are several cases where
devfs provides a more complette set of device nodes that Anaconda does.
This can make a huge difference in the complexity of your rescue
procedures.  For example, restoring a file from tape may be an easier task
with devfs but Anaconda seems to lack creating the approbate device files
for accessing tape drive.  Hence, an explaination of how to use mknod
becomes part of any documentation on how to restore a file from tape while
booting a RH CD in rescue mode.

It much like RH's attitude towards ext3 over reiserfs, it seem RH doesn't
care for the fact that devfs wasn't invented at RH but the Anaconda device
node creator work-around was.  "Not invented here" attitude can carry over
to both XFS and JFS as well.