As root, on a virtual terminal, init 3
init 5 will restart the X login.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Richard S. Crawford
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 12:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to shut down X without shutting down the computer?

Forgive an amateur...

When I'm at home, I work exclusively on my RH8.0 box, and I like to have
X running so I can run applications like Evolution, Mozilla, and so on.

When I'm on the road (which I am far too often for my job), I use a
Windows XP laptop, and I log into my desktop computer remotely with SSH,
and use Squirrelmail to check my personal e-mail.

As I understand it, I certainly don't need X running to make IMAP,
Apache, SSHD, or any of the other remote programs I run work.  But X can
be a major resource hog, and slows things down when I'm logging in
remotely.

Is there an easy and painless way I can shut down X before I leave on
business trips, and start it back up again when I'm at home, without
having to reboot the machine?  I'm using GNOME 2.0 as my windowing
environment, if that's important.  I imagine for those odd times when I
need an X application while on the road, I can log in to my computer
from Cygwin and start X remotely.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford