-----Original Message-----
From: M. Neidorff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sunday, June 14, 1998 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: HTML-formatted mail

>What keeps people interested in and using the Internet is e-mail.  E-mail
>mimics letter writing.  It is plain text.  There is no need for inline
>images, different sized fonts and font attributes like bold, etc.  Sure, in
>a letter you can press harder on the pen/pencil, you can even switch to
>colored pens/pencils, the point is that people don't do this in normal
>letter writing.  On the rare occasion when we need to, we do have the all
>caps, etc.

I don't know where you've been, but here in the computer world we write our
letters in a word processor.

A word processor won't sell worth a flip unless it supports bold, italics,
underlining, etc.

True, most people don't use computers; but I submit that the people who
aren't using computers don't figure into the capabilities of email.

>e-mail when they feel the need to.  They do it by typing the <bold> tags
></bold> directly into the e-mail and letting the <italic>person
><</italic>figure it out.

And you don't think it's less distracting if the program interprets those,
showing the text in bold or italic instead of leaving the tags in there?

That's what we're talking about, here; those tags you're mentioning are HTML
tags.