On Fri, 30 May 2003, Yanick Quirion wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a little problem when using linux redhat crontab. I want to run an Oracle SQL
> script using the oracle user. On the user, I use command crontab -e and add the
> line, for example:
>
> 0 12 * * * /home/oracle/SQL_Script/script1.ksh
>
> The script will run, but it will be start by user "root". When the job is completed,
> I will have a message from root. This causes me problem, because the user root is
> not able to connect to the oracle database without specified the "sys" password into
> the script.
>
> Hi have the similar script on my SUN Solaris. Under this platform, the script will
> be executed by user oracle and I will receive an e-mail from user Oracle, so I'm not
> obliged to type the "sys" password into my script.
>
> There is a way to force a cron job to run as the user who owns the job? I make some
> test with the command "at", and this one seems working fine, but I need a job to run
> each day, not just one time.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards
> -Yanick

The simplest way is to log in or su to the user in question and run
"crontab -e".

Barring that, as root, you can "crontab -u <username> -e".

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

with a message of:

subscribe