[...] and I know that MOST if not all of the
> Broadband providers in the US for residential service clearly
> state that you are NOT to run daemons of any kind on their service.

So no IRC then for people on broadband?

What about things like Bittorrent? Not really a server but it definetly
"serves" data.

What about VPN? SSH?

Rogers here in Canada doesn't want you to run servers either, they probe my
firewall regularly and so far they never got back to me and told me turn off
SSH or my Mailserver (and yes, I do actually receive mail at home).

As for sending? I bypass my ISPs mailserver and use one from a project I am
involved with because I can reach it from anywhere in the world.

M.