> > I do run my own mailserver, it does NOT relay and if you try it you
> > get dropped with an error code, I had people try to use it
> as a relay
> > but even my own ISP only probes it and then went away when they
> > realized it was closed.
>
> OK that is fine but a large majority of spam is sent from
> dynamic IP addresses which are NOT open relays but just used
> to spew out millions of emails to the rest of us poor suckers.

So we have tons of people out there who have their windows machines wide
open and are getting infected by worms, maybe we should just completely shut
those people off the net?

> Not only does being on the dynamic IP address make it hard to
> track down who is responsible but also makes it hard to block
> effectively.

My ISP has names associated with all the IP addresses, those names are in
return my customer ID. So far my IP has changed only when I moved, otherwise
it remained the same and even if I would move and get a new IP according to
my DNS Rcord by my ISP you could identify me (and anybody else on the
network).

> Add to that the people on dynamic addresses who THINK they
> know how to set up mailservers but don't have a clue about
> proper configuration and security.  This makes open relays
> and adds even more problems.

I think most people who know this don't even set them up on purpose. If you
install certain Windows development packages you get IIS, and with IIS you
get a mailserver and that thing was (in the past) by default open.

I don't think may Linux distributions are a lot better in that regards
either.

> The fact is, if you are running a mailserver then you should
> be doing it from a static IP address which makes you easily
> identified if there is a problem so you can either fix it or
> we can ignore your server if you wont.

You could do the same thing: Email comes in on a dynamic address, see if it
is an open relay. Even easier: Only do it if you get a certain amount of
addresses it is delivering to or x amount of connections in y period of
time.

In both cases you have the same effect without closing the door on
everybody.

> > I wouldn't mind having my own fixed IP but they are hard to come by
> > these days.
>
> So use your ISP's mail relay.  That is what they are for!

Which (ironically enough) doesn't allow me to relay with my OWN domain name.
I can only relay with my ISP's domain name which sort of makes that thing
useless to me.

> It is normally the home users that get steamed up about not
> allowing dynamic IP addresses to send email because their
> occaisonal email gets rejected.

I just find it very irritating that I am accused of having an open relay
when I don't. And those "blanket approach" to spam fighting doesn't seem to
work, looking at my mailbox every day.

> Those of us that have to process THOUSANDS of emails every
> day know the VALUE of rejected dynamic address SMTP for
> cutting down the junk.

I know what you are going through because I had your job at one point in
time as well. So you're preaching (in my case) to the choir :)

M.