> So we have tons of people out there who have their windows machines wide
> open and are getting infected by worms, maybe we should just completely
shut
> those people off the net?

Sounds ok to me.

> My ISP has names associated with all the IP addresses, those names are in
> return my customer ID. So far my IP has changed only when I moved,
otherwise
> it remained the same and even if I would move and get a new IP according
> my DNS Rcord by my ISP you could identify me (and anybody else on the
> network).

Alot of ISPs used to run software that automatically updated your PTR record
based on your userid for example if you logged into ip 10.0.1.7, the PTR for
10.0.1.7
would be userid.isp.net that way it was easy to identify who it was, until
people
started using that as a method of privacy invasion, off the top of my head i
could think
of 30 reasons why THIS is a bad idea.

> I think most people who know this don't even set them up on purpose. If
you
> install certain Windows development packages you get IIS, and with IIS you
> get a mailserver and that thing was (in the past) by default open.

This doesn't make it OK.

> I don't think may Linux distributions are a lot better in that regards
> either.

It's really about the same these days, but Linux distros were FIRST in
security by default as
a standard practice.

> You could do the same thing: Email comes in on a dynamic address, see if
it
> is an open relay. Even easier: Only do it if you get a certain amount of
> addresses it is delivering to or x amount of connections in y period of
> time.

You'd invariably get false positives, but you always do so i guess that isnt
a valid arguement.

> In both cases you have the same effect without closing the door on
> everybody.

It just boils down to odds, odds are probably 7/10 of MTAs running on DHCP
assigned addresses are either misconfigured, or used for spam.

> Which (ironically enough) doesn't allow me to relay with my OWN domain
name.
> I can only relay with my ISP's domain name which sort of makes that thing
> useless to me.

Your ISPs server probably only accepts outbound mail for their own domain,
this
is a tactic to prevent from spoofing the from: field.

> I just find it very irritating that I am accused of having an open relay
> when I don't. And those "blanket approach" to spam fighting doesn't seem
> work, looking at my mailbox every day.

Well, would you rather we just let it fly? Eventually the current iteration
of the 'net
is going to be a waste of time unless something is done.

> I know what you are going through because I had your job at one point in
> time as well. So you're preaching (in my case) to the choir :)

I hear ya.

-Drew