On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 04:44:49AM -0500, David Hammett wrote:

> Way can i not get some help with this probelm im
> haveing?

Probably because none of us have any ideas worth sharing.

> I have ask 3 time for help here at redhats list
> request with no replys to my question..I have done
> nothig rong as far as i know and I always give a
> lot of info about the problem im haveing too. So
> way on reply's?
>
> I promise I will be helping out when I learn more
> about linux way of doing thing's.I hope to start
> wrighting some programs too> I already 2 or 3 in
> mind now.
>
> So please just a hint way my sound is not working
> now on my cd-rw drive now that i have setup
> xcd-roast??

<guesswork>
Normally the sound goes from the CD drive to the sound card via the
analog audio cable, so drive setup shouldn't matter at all, as long
as the CD player app works.

But I seem to have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that
in RH9 (and I may be completely wrong about this) the player apps
extract digital sound from the ide bus instead. If this is right,
my theory is that the player app is confused by the change of naming
of the CD drive. You'll note that instead of /dev/hda (or hdb/c/d)
your CD drive is now /dev/scd0 (or scd1, or...). Perhaps you simply
need to reconfigure your media player accordingly? does your /dev/cdrom
point at /dev/scdx or does it still point to /dev/hdx?? If still pointing
at /dev/hdx, then you need to change it:
        rm /dev/cdrom
        ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
or similar.
</guesswork>

> Thank's & God Bless all\
> David Hammett
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Linux is great I love It.. No and more windows for
> me at list not on my main drive :-)
>

> > Thanks For Looking
> >
> > I'm new to linux but I have every thing working On this computter I'v biult And
> > the only system It
> has ever had on it is this Redhat9 But My sound
> for my ATAPI CD-RW Is Not Working Now.
> >
> > NOTE: It was working On both my ATAPI DVD-ROM and my ATAPI CD-RW
> > untill I setup X-CD-Roast program.It's copying good and I have sound On my DVD-ROM
> > And It will read from both of them But No sound on my CD-RW anymoor for some reson.
> >
> > Before you ask I have changed the seting in KsCD form /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdrom1
> > wich is my CD-RW and the earphone on  the CD-RW has Sound just not thrue the sound
> > card and the audio cabel is good. Look At NOTE:
> >
> > Now I have ben reading for 4 days now and have not seen any one with this problem
> > Or in any How-To's. So Please If You Can Help !!!!!!!!!!

> > MY Set Up
> >
> > Primary IDE master 40gb hard drive
> > Primary IDE slave not installed
> > secondary IDE master ATAPI CD-RW
> > secondary IDE slave  ATAPI DVD-ROM
> > grub.conf
> >
> > #boot=/dev/hda
> > default=0
> > timeout=10
> > splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > password --md5 $1$KZkilh8c$MK779chDNzN3rPM8jj1Bs0
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
> >     root (hd0,0)
> >     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
> >     initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
> >
> > /dev drivers
> >
> > /dev/cdrom = DVD-ROM
> > /dev/cdrom1 = CD-RW
> > or
> > /dev/scd0 will play CD-RW but no sound
> > In X-CD-Roast on Device-Scan
> >
> > My CD-RW =
> > scsidev: '0,0,0'
> > scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> >
> > My DVD-ROM =
> > scsidev: 'ATAPI:0,1,0'
> > devname: 'ATAPI'

> > So way am I not geting sound form my CD-RW now When it was working good untell I
> > set up X-CD-Roast??????
> >
> > Thank's & God Bless All\
> > David H.
> >

> --