On Tuesday 24 June 2003 11:13 am, Kent Borg wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:43:10PM +0100, Andy Myers wrote:
> > i didnt install a c-copiler when i installed RH9, does anyone know how i
> > do this, as i tried adding it 9 (gcc) as a new package through the RH
> > add/remove applications but it required older versions of 2 rpms than the
> > ones i currently had
>
> Sounds like you need a newer version of the compiler RPM.  Ftp to
> updates.redhat.com and see if you can find it.
>
> Or maybe not: my real advice to anyone with a reasonably modern disk
> (greater than 10 GB) is to install *everything*.  There is a lot of
> cool stuff in these kitchen-sink distributions, put it all on and you
> will have tons of wonderful stuff to discover as you learn.
> Certainly, turn off daemons you aren't using, and keep everything
> up-to-date, but install it all if you can.

Agreed. I like the kitchen-sink approach for personal / workstation use. I
always find new stuff (althoug I've been using RH for a while) and like the
feeling that I needed something I never knew, it's already installed. *IF*
properly managed, this is a good (or easier) approach.

Of course, you have different requirement if you build something like a
server. In that case, kitchen-sink is bad.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy