I too, have fallen victim to this problem--twice!  The first time it
happened, I had never heard of the problem and I kept re-trying with
different disks (it's an internal drive in a non-portable PC, so I don't
think moving the drive around was aproblem in my case). I ended up hosing
three or four $20 disks--of course, the data on those disks was lost...  A
person who works in another department said that he had the same problem
at his previous job and that they had to spend $80/disk to recover the
data.  I also discovered that the problem is a physical one and that bad
disks can cripple previously good drives!  The supplier replaced the drive
as it was still under warranty, but several months later, I had the
problem again!  This time, I was ready and simply replaced the drive.  But
what bugs me is that Iomega was/is so reluctant to admit the
problem--you'd think they'd stand behind their product.

My advice is to avoid using them.  We have to because our customers will
often provide us with data on that media, but if we had our choice, we
wouldn't have one in the shop at all!  Besides, new formats are going to
be coming out over the next year or two that will render the zip disk
obsolete--despite Iomega's aggressive marketing campaign.

BTW, Anyone had experience with Imation's 120MB SuperDisk?  Supposedly,
the drive will support both 1.44MB floppies as well as the SuperDisk.  It
would be nice not to sacrifice another bay to a new drive...

Cheers!
Mike