Hi Ricky,

> The system is running Red Hat Linux 7.2.  I am using Software-RAID for the root
> partition (/dev/hda3 and /dev/hdd1 as /dev/md0 RAID-1), and a standard ext3
> partition for /boot.  I am also using kernel-2.4.9-34, but would like to
> upgrade as soon as possible.

 Before you upgrade the kernel, did you upgrade raidtools to the latest
version? Plus did you do all the other updates?

 A side note about performance: If you switch hdd and hdc the array might be a
bit faster (assuming you get it to work again ;) .

> I am trying to upgrade to kernel-2.4.20-18.7, but am having some difficulty
> with Software-RAID working once I have installed the RPM.
> It
> looked like everything was okay after that, but I wasn't getting any statistics
> from the second drive in the array (hdd1).

 What happens if you run raidstart /dev/md1 by hand? Getting the same errors?

> I noticed that I have kernel-headers-2.4.9-34 installed

 Don't bother about the kernel-headers. They are needed for development only.

> I ran a detail report on /dev/md0, and noticed the array state was
> "dirty, no errors".  Is there any way to make this "clean"?  Or is this even a
> problem?

 Not sure, but I would think it's not a problem, since you are running on a
live file system, so there are probably open files. Maybe if you'ld remount /
ro the file system is reported as clean.

Bye,
Leonard.

--
How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste?
Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo!