Hi Ricky,

> Both 2.4.9 and 2.4.20 have the same linuxrc script.  The first module
> that is loaded is the raid1 module (insmod /lib/raid1.o).  Later it
> starts the raid on the partitions (raidautorun /dev/md0).

 That looks like the initrd.img is usable - although I don't know what
"raidautorun" is, can you locate this script in the filesystem? - but you
might want to investigate it a little more thorough. Compare the two different
versions and see if anything looks different (different devices in /dev,
availability of /etc/raidtab etc.).

 Another thing you could do is adjust linuxrc somewhat to make it produce some
output. F.e. verbose the insmod, put an lsmod after the insmod (plus a sleep
of a few secs to follow the output) to see if the module is actually loaded,
etc.

 By the way, is the raid1.o module loaded on the running system? Do you get
errors when loading it? If you can load the module you could just recreate the
array as a last resort (not sure if this is possible on a running system,
probably need to boot a rescue cd, and be aware not to loose your data (try on
a test system first)). Not the neatest solution, I know, but the second disk
is no use to you like this anyway.

Bye,
Leonard.

--
How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste?
Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo!