[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, you can run the shutdown command from
> the xterm, nothing wrong with that.
>
> AFIK, <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Backspace> will get rid
> or X, I'm not sure if it'll kill the xdm.
>
> Or, if you're feeling lucky, kill the xdm and
> the xserver ( I'm not sure how to do that, I
> don't use xdm ) from xterm after ps.
>
> To kill the X server, cat your ~/.xinitrc,
> and look for the last entry in the file.
> ( By last entry I mean the last line to a
> program, ignore the comments, etc. )
> Once that program is killed, X will close,
> and you will be back to the prompt. ( Again,
> I'm not sure of xdm, you'll have to kill it
> first, I think )
>
> Hope this helps,
> Nikita.
I tried ctlaltbckspace, which just got me back to the login
screen (don't want that, want just non-xwindows, linux prompt)
So, then I logged in as root and from a shell, did
/sbin/shutdown, which shutdown (actually, froze the xwindows
display, so I did hardware reset, at boot though it automatically
went right back into xwindows. How do I stop it from doing
this?

Thanks
-Peter