On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Peter L. Arnoldy wrote:

> I ran xwindows by typing "xdm". It runs, unfortunately, I do not
> know how to get out. If I do start/exit fvwm/yes, really exit, it
> exits to the login screen, but not back to prompt. How to I get to
> prompt, so that I can safely shut off my machine?
>

> Thanks
>
> -Peter
Hi Peter,

I'm sorry in advance for possibly a silly comment, but why do you use
xdm?
Usually people do so when they want to get into GUI right after the system
boots. This looks most natural if you don't switch off your computer at
all keeping it working as a server. So no wonder that xdm does not want
to stop - it's not for this purpose. If you need just to run X-win, then
why not to use a pretty nice command startx? In this case
CTRL+ALT+BackSpace will work without fail. I saw some replies to your
message. That's quite right that xdm starts at the runlevel 5, instead of
3 which is default. It's not difficult at all to change 5 for 3 in
/etc/inittab, but I wonder, what for? If your computer is a single user
one, there is no sense of using xdm to my mind.

Alexei

P.S. if you do 'ps' and than 'kill -9 either_X_server_or_xdm' this will
work. You can kell everything you want, especially if you're root. :-)