I usually keep my Redhat 9 display turned off. When I need to see it, I turn
it on, jiggle the mouse and it wakes up from its energy-saving mode.

But right now the display won't wake up. So I can't see the Linux system at
all. It's running ok, but I can't access it. There is no remote login
permitted - I always do everything right at the console.

I don't even know if I am currently in a shell or not.

Is there anything I can do? I tried cntrl-alt-backspace to restart X, but
there was no reaction. I tried unplugging and plugging in the monitor
itself, but that didn't help.

I hate to just power down and power up, because that is always slightly
risky for the server software I am currently running. Besides, if the
problem is that the graphics board failed for some reason, after starting up
I couldn't get in to do anything.

Right now everything is running ok, but I do need to get into the system to
run backups, etc.

Anybody have any suggestions? Any secret Linux "wake up display" keystrokes
or anything like that?

Thanks,

Doug Lerner, Tokyo