On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:05:04AM -0400, Edwin Robertson spoke thusly:
>> I've had a machine which I planned to put into production (Samba) -- and
>> just now tried to run the full 'rpm -Fvh' against all the latest errata.
>> Unfortunately for me, eventhough 'rpm --test -F *.rpm' worked without any
>> errors, doing 'rpm -Fvh *.rpm' returned ALOT of segfaulted package
>>updates.
>
>You didn't do -Fvh with the kernel did you?  If so, that would cause any
>version of Red Hat to toast itself.

Hi Erwin,

Yes I did. All the packages were downloaded from ftp://updates.redhat.com/
and then 'rpm -Fvh *.rpm' within the directory itself.

The thing is, I've installed RH v8, copied over all the errata packages
(updated from yesterday), and ran the same command. But with RH v8,
everything comes up without problems even after a reboot. No segfaults, no
kernel panics. Merely a couple of warnings here and there in regards to
'xinetd.d'.

Would you happen to know why the behaviour is different between RHv8 and v9
? I'll follow your advice and try a brand new RH v9 install minus the
kernel packages in the relevant directory. See whether the problem can be
duplicated, or was it a daft user error of mine.

Thanks alot!