On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:59:04AM -0400, Edwin Robertson spoke thusly:

>Using rpm to upgrade your running kernel is a really bad idea no matter
>what version of Red Hat, especially if you are using scsi.  Basically what

Yes, SCSI. That's the only difference between my current desktops and the
server boxes I am using. You are probably right there.

>it does is rip the modules for the running kernel right out and install
>the new kernel modules.  In the case of scsi, you can write the initrd
>because you have no loop back devices once you've ripped out the modules.

OK.

>Unless of course you have compiled your own kernel and compiled it all
>directly in, which in that case I would doubt you would want to be
>upgrading to one of Red Hat's kernel rpms.  What you should do instead of
>-F or -U, is just a regular -I install.  This will install the two kernels
>along side each other and once you are absolutely sure you have no
>problems with the new kernel then you can remove the old kernel with rpm
>-e kernel-<version>, make sure to include your version :).

I used to compile kernels individually for all my servers, but that became
an administrative && maintenance nightmare. So now I only do it for
specialized hosts (routers/firewalls etc) which is why I'm just getting
into the RPM thingy :)

And yes, I found out that doing -Fvh keeps no backup kernel in place also
(the hard way).

I found this via a quick websearch :

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-025.html
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/kernel-upgrade/

I'll go through that, but yes -- looks like I've been jumping in fire all
this time :-) Oh well, time to go beat my head against the wall and chant
'daft luser, daft luser' repeatedly.

Thanks alot for the advice Erwin & Brady.