On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 22:07, Mark Haney wrote:

> Got a couple of quick questions to ask before the holiday.  First, I
> have a web server that is running on a decent IBM PC-Server 325,
> 300MHz PII with 128MB RAM.  It's plenty fast enough for our needs.
> My only question concerns resource usage by the GUI, in this case
> GNOME.  See, my boss is mouse-dependent and knows nothing about
> linux, but wants to be able to at least do a few things on that
> server, add users and the like.  I'm much happier with the CLI,
> especially on a server, but can't really get away with not having the
> GUI for him to use.  Now, is the resource usage of the GUI a major
> issue on this box?  What is the typical RAM usage of GNOME running
> 800X600?  I been using it quite heavily to ftp my web site to this
> new box and it runs plenty fast enough with GNOME running.

If this machine is a server, why not use a web based tool for accessing
it - such as Webmin? Easier all the way around, accessible from another
computer on your network instead of sitting in front of the server...?

Otherwise, you can edit the /etc/inittab file and set the default
runlevel to 3 so that you boot to a console login - that way, if you
REALLY need to start XWindows, you can just run the "startx" script.
You'll save on overall resource by not having the GDM up and running.

> Second, what's the easiest way to go back to booting to the CLI if
> the GUI is already set to boot?

See above. If the server is already booting to GDM, you can just change
the default runlevel to 3 instead of 5 and you'll have the console.

>  Sounds like a rookie question

Everyone's a rookie. It's a great question mate.

> Thanks in advance for any input.  And to all of us in the US, Happy
> Independence Day!

Uh, what about US citizens that live in other countries? A-hem. Rather
sad at times to be the only yank in the neighbourhood here.

--
Thu Jul  3 22:15:01 EST 2003
 22:15:01 up 1 day, 11:35,  2 users,  load average: 1.12, 0.56, 0.27

|            __    __          |kuhn media australia            |
|           /-oo /| |'-.       |http://kma.0catch.com           |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      |stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       | email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
 linux user #:267497 linux machine #:194239 * MDK 9.1 & RH 7.3
     Mandrake Linux Kernel 2.4.21-11mdk Cooker for i586

I don't want to bore you, but there's nobody else around for me to bore.