On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Stephen Smith wrote:

> I couldn't have said it better!  Look at what the prices are for M$
> software adn you don't see people running around complaining - they just
> go to the store and buy it!  Damn!  The OS is free whatelse do you want?

i've felt this way for a while.  this attitude that, if you use linux,
everything should be open source and free is a good way to drive away
potential application developers.  if they figure no one's willing to
shell out some cash for a good app, why would they want to get involved?

there are some companies that seem to be doing nicely with a commercial
business model, selling apps fairly inexpensively:

1) www.codeweavers.com (crossover office)
2) www.thekompany.com (embedded apps for PDAs)
3) www.operasoftware.com (opera browser)

and so on.  the trick seems to be, don't be greedy.  write a good
app or 12, sell them cheap, and make a comfortable living.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies